About Our School
We welcome the opportunity to introduce you to our school in Gunthorpe. We are very proud of our children and their achievements. Here’s what the children say about their school:
“Our school is small so you get more attention – like when you put your hand up”
“Good sporting activities”
“Everyone is really friendly”
“The best thing about school is, the teachers, because they are kind”
“It’s a loving school”
Principles For Learning
At Gunthorpe School we celebrate the strengths of every child and believe the child is at the centre of the learning. This is at the heart of our vision:
We strive for excellence for our whole community. This is lived out by their understanding of the world that God created; their place in it, their value to it and their responsibility for it. Built on the foundations of our Christian values of forgiveness, service, determination, respect and friendship.
- At Gunthorpe School everyone seeks to be a positive role model. We communicate with clear aims and expectations, giving constructive feedback and positive praise. There is a consistent approach of respect leading to good behaviour and this is demonstrated across all aspects of school life.
- We encourage children through valuing effort, achievement and progression. We will motivate children by making learning fun and inclusive. We promote a can do culture, by helping children to understand the progression of their own learning through self assessment and target setting, listening to their views and creating opportunities for success.
- We develop routines to promote a sense of security, giving clear expectations/boundaries, providing a welcoming environment and caring attitude. We strive to give the children a sense of belonging by valuing their opinions, giving them ownership through mechanisms such as class briefing and pupil parliament.
- We set high expectations and give every learner confidence they can succeed by demonstrating a commitment to every learner’s success and engaging the active support of parents.
We recently had a SIAMS inspection where they found:
- The school ethos ensures that all pupils are enabled to be their best. Supportive staff allow the space and reflection time for them to question and consolidate their thinking.
- There is a culture where everyone is valued for whoever they are or whatever they want to be.
- The headteacher and her supportive staff team, together ensure that the Christian vision underpins all learning and support for pupils’ well being. This means that pupils flourish in the school, demonstrating progress academically, socially and spiritually.